Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Carbonara may have less carbs, but it still has just as much flavor!
Spaghetti squash and cauliflower are my two main go-to’s when it comes to transforming traditionally carb-loaded meals into better options for those of us who can’t eat as much as we’d probably like.
I am the first to admit that there just isn’t a great substitute for every recipe out there. But, sometimes we do a pretty darn good job of creating equally as delicious alternatives! Obviously, I am talking about this low carb alternative to a traditional Spaghetti Carbonara recipe.
Isn’t it kind of ironic that the word “carbonara” sounds like a raging party of carbohydrates? The carbonara portion of Spaghetti Carbonara actually has very little, if not zero carbs. That’s right. All the carbs come from the spaghetti.
So, I simply replaced the pasta with lower-carb spaghetti squash. Hey! That makes it perfectly suitable for you guys on a gluten free diet as well! Win. Win.
Now before the carbonara critics come swinging, I’m not saying this recipe is exactly the same as the classic. It can’t be. With this recipe there is no extra pasta water to mix into the sauce, so I used heavy cream instead. And garlic. Because I love garlic. And, it seems, a lot of other people do too.
You will likely have some extra sauce in the bottom of your bowl, as well, since the spaghetti squash doesn’t absorb any of it like traditional pasta does. But, is a little extra sauce ever really a bad thing, especially in a world where there’s often too little sauce? I don’t think so.
Let’s do this.
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Be sure to have all your ingredients out and ready to go, as this recipe comes together fairly quickly.
Pierce the spaghetti squash about 8 times with a knife, making sure it goes all the way into the center. Microwave on a plate on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Let it cool enough so that you can handle it, then cut it in half. Remove the seeds and then using a fork scrap all the flesh out into microwave-safe bowl. You should have about 5-6 Cups. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cheese, eggs, egg yolks, and black pepper to taste.
Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Dice the bacon and add it to the hot oil. Cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Drain all but about 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease out of the pan.
Place the bowl of spaghetti squash back into the microwave on high for 1 minute, just to get it hot again.
Add the spaghetti squash to the skillet with the bacon and toss to coat.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cheese and egg mixture. Add heavy cream slowly, until desired creaminess is reached.
Serve topped with extra cheese, black pepper, and parsley, if desired.
For more Keto and Low Carb recipes, you can click here to visit the Low Carb section of my Recipe Index or sign up for my Keto and Low Carb Newsletter to get new keto and low carb recipes sent right to your inbox!
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 cup Parmesan Romano Cheese * finely shredded
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cloves garlic * minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pierce the spaghetti squash about 8 times with a knife, making sure it goes all the way into the center.
- Microwave on a plate on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Let it cool enough so that you can handle it. Once cool, cut it in half and remove the seeds. Then, using a fork scrap all the flesh out into a bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cheese, eggs, egg yolks, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced bacon to the hot oil. Cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease out of the pan.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the skillet with the bacon and toss to coat.
- Continue to cook a few more minutes until the spaghetti squash is hot throughout.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cheese and egg mixture until well blended and creamy.
- Add the heavy cream slowly, until desired creaminess is reached.
- Serve topped with extra cheese, black pepper, and parsley, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- If preferred, you can roast the spaghetti squash in the oven rather than microwaving it. This method does take longer and will extend the total time it takes to make this recipe.
- Spoon the extra sauce in the bottom of the pan over the plates of carbonara for even more flavor.
- Store cooled leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.