Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are decadent, thin cookies with a chewy center and crispy edges!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
We are most definitely on a dark chocolate kick in this house lately! I’ve made Dark Chocolate No Bake Cookies, Dark Chocolate Mint Cupcakes, and now these Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies. No one around here is complaining about how rich and decadent dark chocolate goodies are, but if you don’t love dark chocolate as much as we do, just use regular cocoa powder and milk chocolate chips instead. Easy enough, right?
This recipe, as written, is going to give you a flatter, thinner cookie with a soft, chewy center and crispy edges. My favorite type of cookie is definitely a chewy cookie, thick or thin! You can go ahead and mix the dark chocolate chips and walnuts into the batter or you can press them into tops of the the raw cookies before baking, like I did, to make them a little more visually appealing…they will be plenty taste-appealing as is, I can guarantee you that!
I took around 100 pictures the day I made these cookies, yet had only a few variations of this exact shot for this recipe! Crazzzy! I thought for sure I had way too many of each recipe I made that day! Lesson learned!
The most important thing with thinner, chewy cookies is to let them cool fully before removing them from the baking sheet! My impatience always gets the best of me and I may or may not have broken a few while trying to remove them from the baking sheet while they were still hot. No worries though, none of them went to waste! When I slowed down and let them cool, they were much easier to remove and stayed in one piece!
I was told repeatedly how good these Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are, so I’m pretty sure you might love them too! If you try them, please let me know what you think!
I’m definitely curious now to start playing around with some of the different ingredients in this recipe to attempt to make different variations of cookie types! While I prefer a chewy cookie, thick or thin, I know lots of people like crunchy cookies too! What’s your favorite type of cookie?
If you like this recipe, you may also like my:
Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- Mix together the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Blend the butter and sugar together in a mixer on medium speed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Lower the speed and gradually add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients in the mixer until well combined. The dough will be very thick.
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips and walnuts by hand. Or you can wait and press them on the tops of the cookies before baking.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour to chill the dough.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place dough balls 2-inches apart, as cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Tips and Techniques For Perfect Cookies
- Measure the flour by spooning it into a measuring cup. Do not pack it.
- Ensure that the baking powder and baking soda that you are using are fresh and not expired.
- Chill the dough to help keep the cookies from spreading too much when baking.
- Check the oven temperature with an oven thermometer to ensure that it’s actually heated to the proper temperature.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Use within 1-2 weeks.