Dark Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookies will satisfy all your cravings in one delicious cookie!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
My guess is you’re probably already convinced you need these Dark Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookies in your life, but I’ll tell you some more about them anyway!
I created a Basic Dark Chocolate Cookie and then I decided I wanted to add even more deliciousness to them! I came up with a few different versions (more on that later!), but if I had to choose one as my own personal favorite, it would be this one! I pressed dark chocolate chips (Yes! Those are really dark chocolate chips, that dark cocoa powder is seriously dark!) and small pieces of caramel all over the top of the cookies before baking. As soon as they came out of the oven, I sprinkled them with a pinch of salt!
I have two recommendations if you make these cookies (I’ll put them in the recipe as well so they are there if you print it off). First, don’t mix the chips and caramel pieces into the batter. Instead, press a bunch of them onto the top of the raw dough before baking (see my photos for an example). Because this recipe makes a thin cookie, the caramel will go through them easily. They turned out 100 times better when I didn’t mix them in.
Second, let them cool fully before removing them from the baking sheet. My impatience got the best of me (in my defense I was baking about 6 different cookies that day haha!), and I broke a few in my rush to get them off the sheet. When I let them cool fully, they came off without a problem.
These Dark Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookies are perfection, in my eyes. A decadent, thin, chewy cookie with bursts of extra chocolate and gooey caramel, topped off with a hint of salt…what more could you need? Well, besides a tall, ice cold glass of milk!
I plan to play around with the recipe some more to see if I can convert it to a fatter chewy cookie, and maybe a crispy version, just for fun. Do you have a favorite type of cookie?
If you like this recipe, then you may also want to try my:
- 1 1/4 Cups butter softened
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cups flour
- 3/4 Cups unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup soft caramel candies chopped
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the mixture to the wet ingredients in the mixer until well combined.
- Roll the dough into one inch balls and press some chips and caramel pieces into the top (like I did for the cookies in the photo). This method works best for this particular recipe - as these are thin cookies and you don't want the caramel melting through them. Place dough balls 2 inches apart, as cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt onto each cookie and LET COOL before removing from the baking sheet.