Cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots come together deliciously in this California Blend Vegetable Soup topped with Parmesan Croutons!
Once again, I have transformed one of my favorite recipes into something completely different! This California Blend Vegetable Soup recipe was inspired by a side dish recipe that I have been making for years…and years…
I’m not sure what to even call the recipe that this soup is based off of. The original actually had far more ingredients than the way I make it these days. I take cauliflower and broccoli florets and chopped carrots, then top them with a mixture of bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and cayenne pepper. I bake it until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are toasted. Then I eat it for every meal of the day because it’s that good! I suppose I should get that recipe on here soon!
This soup uses all the same elements of that recipe. I use a food processor to rice the cauliflower and broccoli, then grate the carrot. The Parmesan Croutons take the place of the crumb topping!
This is a really easy recipe and after making my own croutons, I am never, ever going back to store bought! Let’s get to it, shall we?
California Blend Vegetable Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Before you get started cooking, make sure your cauliflower and broccoli are riced and your carrots are grated. Have all your ingredients out and ready to go!
Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
Add the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and 4 Cups of the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper and raise the heat to bring to a boil. Lower and simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Add the remaining stock, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
To make the croutons, brush the bread cubes with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes until just golden and crispy.
Top each bowl of soup with Parmesan croutons and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
California Blend Vegetable Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Next, add the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and 4 cups of the vegetable stock.
- Raise the heat to high to bring to a boil. Lower and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining stock and cayenne pepper. Cook until hot.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Top each bowl of soup with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best California Blend Vegetable Soup
- Use fresh vegetables for the best results.
- To make this recipe gluten free, be sure that the stock you use is gluten free.
- Store leftover soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.