My Two Cheese Broccoli Soup is an extra cheesy spin on a very popular classic recipe!
My oldest son and I love the broccoli cheese soup that you can get in a bread bowl at a very popular restaurant. We literally fight each other for the last spoonful! I just HAD to try to make my own. It’s not an exact copy of our beloved favorite, but when my 9-year-old keeps asking me for more, then suggests we make our own bread bowls, I know I’ve got a winner on my hands! I added a second cheese to make this a Two Cheese Broccoli Soup recipe!
This is probably the only way I’m going to get this kid of mine to eat broccoli these days. Is it just my son, or do they get pickier and pickier when it comes to vegetables with each passing birthday? He used to eat Curried Broccoli Salad at age 2! Curry and broccoli! Now, he won’t touch the stuff without an argument.
The mom in me tells him that he has to eat it because it helps keep cancer away. A little much? Maybe, but it works. Sometimes. Other times, I have to drown it in cream and cheese and call it soup. That method gets him every time. And me too.
Yep. There are containers of this soup hiding in the back of my freezer where little hands can’t reach. Once you try it, you’ll understand!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information see our Disclosure Statement.
I used two different types of cheese in this soup to give it a little bit different flavor – gouda and extra sharp cheddar. Both cheese flavors definitely come through!
This Two Cheese Broccoli Soup recipe can be made vegetarian by using a vegetable stock (this is how I always make it). It can also be made gluten free by using a gluten free flour as the thickener. I put this information in the recipe down below for easy reference!
I hope you enjoy it as much as Jaxon and I do!
- 4 Cups vegetable stock
- 4 Cups broccoli chopped very small
- 4 carrots grated
- 4-5 cloves garlic minces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 Tablespoons flour *can use gluten free if needed
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Cups half-and-half
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 2 Cups gouda cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add the vegetable stock, broccoli, carrots, garlic, and onion powder. Cook about 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile in a smaller pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the flour. Once the vegetables are cooked, slowly mix in the flour mixture. Next, mix in the half-and-half.
- Reduce the heat to low. Slowly add in the cheddar and gouda and mix until melted and well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top each bowl with extra grated cheese if desired.