Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is an easy-to-make, delicious low-carb meal! It can also be made gluten free!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
Cauliflower is becoming more and more popular as a low carb alternative to potatoes, and even pizza crusts! Seriously, you can find just about anything made with cauliflower now a days! If you’ve jumped around the blog at all yet, you will see that I use it a lot. I like the taste, but I also use it often as a healthier replacement for potatoes and other foods and have been pretty happy with the results.
I have a few soup recipes that use cauliflower as the base. This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup recipe is designed as an alternative to a cheesy potato soup, but I personally think cauliflower should get more credit than as just a stand in for potatoes for those of us looking for low carb solutions. This soup is really delicious! I make a big batch and freeze it in individual containers so I always have a quick lunch on hand when I need it!
It can be modified in a thousand different ways. This was the first time I made it this particular way! This recipe as written is vegetarian, low-carb, and can easily be modified into a gluten free variety without sacrificing taste or texture at all! For all you meat lovers out there, mix in some bacon, or sprinkle it on top. You can also easily swap out the vegetable stock for chicken stock if that’s what you keep on hand in your pantry as well. I could go on and on.
So cauliflowers lovers this Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is for you! Low-carb dieters…you too! Vegetarians! Gluten-free peeps! It’s for all of you! I hope you’ll try it! I hope you all love it! And I really hope you’ll let me know what you think. And, if you modified it I would love to hear all about that too! Leave a comment or send me a message anytime!
If you liked this recipe you may also want to try my Quick and Easy Cauliflower Corn Chowder!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 large head cauliflower grated
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour *use Gluten Free if needed
- 2 Cups vegetable stock *use Gluten Free if needed
- 2 Cups almond milk *can use dairy instead
- 2 1/2 Cups cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the cauliflower and onion powder. Stir to combine. Add the water and cover to steam the cauliflower until tender, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, combine the flour with 1/4 Cup of the vegetable stock set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, add the remaining vegetable stock to the pot along with the milk. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the flour mixture, lower the heat back down and simmer about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and gradually mix in the cheddar cheese stirring until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot, topped with extra cheese and/or scallions if desired.