Throw these Coconut Curry Shrimp and Quinoa Bowls together in less than 30 minutes for a delicious and filling meal!
This post contains affiliate links. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
Whenever my fiancé, Daryl’s, birthday rolls around he always requests coconut shrimp. I’ll admit, it’s one of my favorite dinners to eat, as well. To cook? Not so much. They definitely take some time to make. I always make a mess, and without question, I will end up getting splattered with hot oil the entire time (I’ve since resolved this problem by purchasing a deep fryer).
So, when I saw a recipe in a magazine that was for spicy coconut shrimp with quinoa, I was inspired to create this much quicker and easier Coconut Curry Shrimp and Quinoa Recipe. Curry, also being another favorite of mine.
I love the sweetness of coconut and didn’t want to take away from that by adding a spice factor (at least this time around). My hope was to develop a flavor that was familiar, but without all the work, mess, and burns! While it’s different, of course, it turned out delicious! The sauce was the perfect combination of warm curry spices and sweet coconut milk. The shredded toasted coconut on top was the perfect finishing touch! I could not stop eating the extra!
And here is the most important part…it is simple to make. It looks like something you’d order in a fancy shmancy restaurant, but you just throw it together in no time in your own home (which is probably also a lot less expensive)! It took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish! It’s perfect for those busy weeknights. In my world quick, but delicious, meals always win!
Coconut Curry Shrimp and Quinoa
If you’re using frozen, cooked shrimp, you’ll want to defrost them and remove the shells and tails before you begin cooking.
Mince the garlic, dice the shallot, zest and juice the orange.
Have all of your other ingredients out and ready to go.
Add the quinoa and water to a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until tender and the germ of the quinoa is visible.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
Add the garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
Stir in the ginger and cumin. Cook for an additional minute, then add the coconut milk, orange zest and juice, and shrimp. Cook until heated through.
To serve, divide the quinoa between 4 bowls. Top with even amounts of the shrimp curry. Garnish with toasted coconut and chopped cilantro.
Coconut Curry Shrimp and Quinoa
- 1 Cup quinoa red, white, or combined
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic * minced
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 Cup coconut milk * canned
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice * freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pound shrimp * cooked, tails removed
- 1/4 Cup shredded toasted coconut * see recipe notes
- 1/4 Cup cilantro leaves chopped
- Combine the quinoa and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 15 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
- Add the garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the ginger and cumin. Cook for an additional minute, then add the coconut milk, orange zest and juice, and shrimp. Cook until heated through.
- To serve, divide the quinoa among 4 bowls, topped with the shrimp and coconut sauce. Sprinkle on the toasted coconut and cilantro.