Instant Pot Homemade Beef Stew
This quick and easy Instant Pot Homemade Beef Stew tastes just like its been cooking low and slow all day!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time42 mins
Natural Release10 mins
Total Time1 hr 2 mins
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound stew meat * I use lean cuts
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium shallot * chopped
- 2 cloves garlic * minced
- 1 Cup carrots * sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 2 Cups potatoes * cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 Cups beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 Cup frozen peas
- chopped parsley * for garnish, optional
PREP: Season the stew meat with salt and pepper set aside. Mince the garlic, chop the shallot, and whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Cut the carrots and potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Turn your Instant Pot onto sauté. One hot, add the olive oil and the beef cubes. Cook until just browned, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot. Add the shallot, garlic, carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock, thyme, rosemary, and cornstarch mixture to the pot. Stir to combine. Put the lid on the pot and set to pressure cook on high for 35 minutes.
Once the stew is done cooking, let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then, do a quick release.
Remove the lid and stir in the frozen peas. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve in individual bowls and top with chopped parsley, if desired.
Tips and Techniques
- Buy already cut stew meat from the grocery store to save time.
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into chunks about the same size as the stew meat for even cooking and consistency.
- A "natural release" means that your just letting the Instant Pot sit, undisturbed, after it's done cooking..
- A "quick release" is opening the pressure valve - be careful as the steam (and sometimes liquid) comes out hot. I usually place a kitchen towel over the valve before I open it.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper after it's done cooking.
To Make This Beef Stew Recipe in a Slow Cooker:
Brown the meat on the stove top first to seal in all the juices. Then, add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the peas, to your slow cooker and set to low for 8 hours. Once the stew is done cooking, stir the peas in, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
* Nutritional information is given as an estimate only and may vary.