Creamy Coconut Rice
This Creamy Coconut Rice recipe is full of delicious coconut flavor and you won't believe how easy the recipe is!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time25 mins
Add the rice, coconut milk, and water to a medium sauce pan over high heat.
Bring the rice to a boil, stirring often, then cover and lower the heat to simmer.
Stir the rice often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Continue to cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, but still a little creamy, and the rice is tender. This can take 20-30 minutes, depending on the type of rice used.
Tips & Techniques for the Best Creamy Coconut Rice
- Use full fat coconut milk for the best, more flavorful results. Of the few brands of coconut milk that I have tried, I have had the best results with the Thai Kitchens brand unsweetened, full fat coconut milk.
- You can substitute brown rice, but it may take slightly longer to cook.
- Be sure to stir the rice frequently, as it is more likely to stick to the bottom of the pan than plain rice.
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- What type of rice should you use to make coconut rice? Jasmine rice is the most popular choice of rice to make coconut rice with. I also love the results that I get with basmati rice, as well.
- Can you freeze coconut rice? Yes, you can freeze coconut rice and either thaw and reheat or reheat straight from frozen. You may need to add a little water if the reheated rice is too dry.
- Is coconut rice gluten free? Yes, this recipe for coconut rice is gluten free.
- What do you serve with coconut rice? Coconut rice pairs well with so many things! You can serve it with a simple seared chicken or a flavorful Thai, Indian, or Caribbean-inspired recipe. My personal favorite meal to serve with Creamy Coconut Rice is Cuban Pork and Sweet Fried Plantains.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg