Keto Mac and Cheese with Zoodles
With only 5 grams of net carbs per serving, this Keto Mac and Cheese recipe lets you enjoy this comfort food favorite without any guilt! It’s made with spiralized zucchini in a rich, creamy cheese sauce!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese * shredded
- 4 cups zucchini * spiralized from about 2 whole zucchinis
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
Add the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream and continue to cook until fully blended, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the salt, pepper, and mustard powder, then the cheddar cheese.
Continue cooking until the cheese is fully melted and well blended, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the zucchini and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the zucchini is just tender. Serve hot.
Tips & Techniques
- Shred the cheese from a block rather than using pre-shredded bagged cheese. Cheese from a block melts better and doesn’t contain any added starches.
- If you can, leave the cream cheese out to soften at room temperature for an hour or so before you begin. It will melt much faster.
- Use fresh zucchini rather than frozen for the best results.
- Add in some cooked crumbled bacon, sausage, or diced ham for added protein, flavor, and heartiness!
- Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. It’s best to use any leftover zoodles within a day or two.
- Can you substitute the heavy cream with half and half or milk? Yes, just be aware that the cheese sauce may be on the thinner side should you choose not to use heavy cream.
- What vegetables can you make Keto Mac and Cheese with? In addition to zucchini noodles, you could also use cauliflower or spaghetti squash and keep your meal fairly low in carbs. You could also try using the cheese sauce over broccoli as well.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 503kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 711mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1795IU | Vitamin C: 22.2mg | Calcium: 465mg | Iron: 0.9mg