This classic French side dish combines crispy fried potatoes, which remain creamy inside, with caramelized onions, butter, and parsley. Lyonnaise Potatoes are delicious served with tons of main courses, special enough to serve at holiday meals and simple enough to prepare during busy weeknights too.
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1 small onion (sliced thin or finely diced)
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (minced)
Place potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Be sure that the water is about 2 inches above the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for just 2-3 minutes. The potatoes should still be firm. Drain and leave in the colander to cool and air-dry while you cook the onions.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized, about 10-12 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Add half of the remaining butter to the skillet. Once the butter is very hot, but not smoking, place potatoes in the pan so that are not overlapped (you will need to work in batches) and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, then flip and repeat on the other side. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining butter and potatoes.
Return all of the potatoes and the onion to the pan and cook 1-2 minutes to warm though.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Tips and Techniques
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- Cut the potatoes as close to the same size as possible to ensure more even cooking.
- To avoid soggy potatoes, ensure the potatoes are dry and the butter is very hot, but not smoking, before adding them to the pan.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume within 3-5 days. To reheat, spread the potatoes out on a sheet pan and cook in the oven for approximately 5 minutes at 400°F.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 997mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 843IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg