Chicken Tortilla Soup
Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup tastes just as amazing as traditional tortilla soup, but with less carbs. This soup is made with chicken, vegetables and spices, then topped with low carb tortilla strips that take just minutes to make. It's sure to be one of your new favorite soups to warm up with this season.
Servings: 6 servings
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Monterey Jack cheese (or queso fresco)
Low Carb Tortilla Strips
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil.
Cut tortillas into thin strips (a pizza cutter works great for this) and spread out onto a baking sheet.
Sprinkle with salt and bake, tossing once or twice, for 5-7 minutes or until crispy and just starting to lightly brown.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Heat olive oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook until it starts to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the chili powder, cumin and paprika and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
Pour in the diced tomatoes, green chiles and chicken stock, then add the chicken.
Raise the heat to boil, then simmer 7-10 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Serve topped with tortilla strips and any of the optional toppings listed above that you like.
Tips and Techniques
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary. It does not include optional toppings as those may vary greatly.
- If you're not using leftover or rotisserie chicken, you can roast your chicken in the oven, cook it in the Instant Pot or even boil it.
- Easily shred the chicken by placing it in a mixing bowl and using a hand held mixer to break it up.
- If a spicy tortilla soup is desired, add a finely chopped jalapeño pepper or chipotle pepper with the onions and garlic.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg