Cod Piccata is a delicious seafood adaptation of traditional piccata. Fillets of cod are dredged and pan-fried. The piccata sauce is a zesty, lemony butter sauce that complements the fish perfectly. This light, healthy recipe is a very easy to make, family friendly dinner that is great for busy weeknights.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup capers (drained)
- fresh parsley (optional, garnish)
Mix together the almond flour, salt and pepper on a plate. Dredge the cod in the flour mixture and place on a plate.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Once the butter-oil mixture is hot and sizzles when drops of water are sprinkled over it, add the cod. Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes or until the fish is opaque throughout and easily flakes with a fork. Remove to a clean plate.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining butter to the pan. Once melted, add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes
Slowly pour in the wine, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce by half, scraping up any browned bits. Add the lemon juice and capers and stir.
Place the cod back into the pan to warm through.
Serve the cod topped with spoonfuls of the piccata sauce and garnished with fresh parsley, if desired.
Tips and Techniques
- To lower the net carbs in this recipe even more, you can eliminate the shallot and/or almond flour. The cod can be cooked with just salt and pepper (no flour) in the same manner as instructed in the recipe.
- It’s important to make sure the butter and oil are hot before adding the cod. This is important to ensure that the flour coating stays on and doesn’t get soggy, which can be a bit challenging when working with flakier types of fish, like cod.
- Store leftovers separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 691mg | Potassium: 794mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 258IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg