Blackened Halibut is a quick, easy dinner recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. It takes just 15 minutes and a handful of ingredients to get this spicy, smoky seafood meal on the table. The Avocado Lime Crema helps to balance out the spice and add a little more zest to the dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut fillets (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons blackening seasoning
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or butter)
Avocado Lime Crema
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- pinch salt
Season both sides of the halibut fillets with the blackening seasoning and press it into the fish.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Once hot, add the fillets and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until the seasoning is charred and the fish is opaque and flakes easily. It should reach an internal temperature of 145°F on a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest portion.
Avocado Lime Crema
To make the Avocado Lime Crema, combine the flesh from the avocado, lime juice, sour cream, cilantro, and salt in a blender cup or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve the fillets topped with the avocado sauce and serve.
Tips and Techniques
** Nutritional Information is an estimate and may vary.
- If you have very thick halibut fillets, you may want to transfer the skillet (make sure it’s oven-proof) to the oven set at 350°F to finish cooking.
- To make blackened halibut on the grill, set your grill temperature to medium and use a grill basket for fish to more easily turn the fish without it flaking apart.
- Use extra crema with other recipes like tacos, on chicken, or with a variety vegetables. You could also make a half batch, if you’d rather not have any extra.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 676mg | Potassium: 1035mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 501IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg