Italian Sausage Casserole
Italian Sausage Casserole is a spicy, cheesy combination of slices of hot Italian sausage, riced cauliflower, and a blend of cheeses. It's a low carb, keto friendly, gluten free meal that's easy to make and super tasty!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper * diced
- 1.5 pounds hot Italian sausage * cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 ounces cream cheese * cut into 8 cubes
- 5 cups cauliflower rice * from one large head of cauliflower
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese * shredded
- fresh parsley * minced, optional
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add the diced red pepper and cook until it begins to soften and blister, about 5 minutes.
Add the Italian sausage to the pan and cook until it's no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes.
Drain off excess grease.
Place the cubes of cream cheese in a large bowl and pour the hot sausage mixture over them. Allow to sit a minute or so to soften the cheese, then stir.
Gradually stir in the cauliflower rice and half of the cheddar cheese until everything is well blended.
Spread into a large casserole dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Garnish with fresh, minced parsley, if desired.
Tips and Techniques
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- You can use mild Italian sausage, if preferred.
- You can use ground Italian sausage, if preferred. The cook time will be slightly less.
- Shred the cheddar cheese from a block for the best melting and texture. Pre-shredded bagged cheese has added starch which makes it grainy when melted.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 734kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 64g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 167mg | Sodium: 1226mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1507IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 359mg | Iron: 2mg