Mashed Rutabaga is a simple recipe that makes a great low carb alternative to mashed potatoes.
- 2 cups rutabaga * cubed, from one large rutabaga
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt * or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper * or to taste
Cut your rutabaga into cubes and add to a pot of cold, salted water.
Place the pot on the stovetop over high heat and bring to a boil.
Boil, until the rutabaga is fork tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain the water and add the butter, heavy whipping cream, salt, and pepper to the pot with the rutabaga.
Use a potato masher to mash the rutabaga to your desired consistency.
Taste and season as preferred.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Mashed Rutabaga
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- You can adjust the amounts of butter, cream, salt and pepper to suit your own tastes. Be aware that making any adjustments to the recipe will alter the nutritional information provided.
- For creamier mashed rutabaga, you can use a food processor.
- Store leftover mashed rutabaga tightly covered in the refrigerator. Use within 3-5 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 214mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg