Southwestern Chicken Pita Pockets
Southwestern Chicken Pita Pockets are stuffed with juicy, seasoned chicken, corn, black beans, cheese. and avocado. Because you can make all the ingredients ahead of time, it's the perfect recipe for a quick lunch or dinner!
- 1 pound chicken * cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder * divided
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 slices Sargento Blends 4 Cheese Southwest Slices
- 4 pita pockets
- 1 avocado * diced small, optional topping
- 1 lime * quartered, optional
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the chili powder.
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and add the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
Once the chicken is cooked through, add the corn, black beans, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the chili powder to the skillet. Stir and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
When you are ready to assemble the pitas, cut the avocado into small cubes.
Place one slice of cheese into each pita and divide the chicken mixture (warm or cooled) among the pockets.
Top evenly with the avocado and/or fresh lime, if desired.
Tips & Techniques for the Best Southwestern Pita Pockets
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- You can make the chicken, corn, and black beans mixture ahead of time. When you are ready to eat, stuff your pita pockets with the chicken, cheese slices, and freshly cut avocado for best results.
- Warm the pita pockets according to the directions on the packet and stuff them immediately after the mixture is done cooking if you prefer to enjoy this recipe hot.
- Store any leftover chicken mixture in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Keep leftover pita pockets tightly wrapped in the cabinet. Be sure to use the leftover chicken within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 792mg | Potassium: 700mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 614IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 286mg | Iron: 3mg