Chicken with Chipotle Cream Sauce
Chicken with Chipotle Cream Sauce is a spicy, rich, and cheesy dish. The chipotle peppers add a touch of smokiness and the perfect amount of spice, while the added spinach makes this a complete meal on it’s own. It’s also delicious over pasta or spaghetti squash.
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts * cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic * minced
- 3-4 chipotle peppers with adobo sauce * finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese * grated
- 4 ounces spinach leaves
- fresh cilantro * optional garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook until it is no longer pink in the center, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to a plate or bowl and set aside.
Return the pan to the stovetop and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
Add the chipotle peppers and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Slowly pour in the heavy cream and increase the heat to bring to a boil. Lower until the cream comes to a simmer. Cook 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Whisk in the Parmesan cheese until smooth.
Stir the chicken back in and cook 1-2 minutes to re-warm.
Add the spinach and cook until wilted and combined well with the sauce.
Garnish with chopped, fresh cilantro, if desired.
Tips and Techniques
** Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary.
- There should be no need to add flour to this recipe. Just be sure to let the cream come to a boil, then lower and let it come to a simmer before whisking in the Parmesan cheese. That should be enough to give you a thick, creamy sauce.
- If you want a milder sauce, remove the chipotle seeds by cutting the pepper in half and scraping them out with the flat edge of your knife, then mince the remaining pepper. The more seeds you leave in, the spicier the sauce will be.
- Serve this meal as is, or over spaghetti squash to keep it low carb, or over gluten free or regular pasta for added heartiness.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 539kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 828mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3161IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 266mg | Iron: 1mg