Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
These Red Wine Braised Short Ribs make an easy, yet impressive dinner! The ribs will be fall-apart tender and the sauce is rich and flavorful.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs * trimmed of excess fat
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves * minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef stock * gluten free if necessary
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 300°F. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
Add the beef ribs, in batches, and sear on all sides until well browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl, until all of the ribs are done.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic. Cook, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the wine and turn the heat back up to medium-high. Simmer until reduced by half.
Add the broth or stock, carrots, and thyme., the the beef and any juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
Cover and bring to a simmer, then transfer to the oven for approximately 2 1/2 hours, turning the meat halfway through cooking.
Serve over mashed potatoes, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary
- If you don’t have a Dutch Oven, you can brown the ribs in a skillet, then transfer them to a baking dish instead.
- Make this dish lower in carbs by serving the ribs over cauliflower rice.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 850mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5365IU | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 4.8mg