Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Potatoes
This Breakfast Casserole is made with ground sausage, potatoes, cheese and vegetables. It’s an easy, delicious dish for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 8 Servings
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 shallot * diced
- 1 red pepper * diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 medium size potatoes * cut into 1/2-inch cubes - about 3 cups
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese * shredded
Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 11 or equivalent sized casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the shallots, red pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook until just soft, about 2-3 minutes, then add the ground sausage.
Cook, breaking up, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a second large skillet over medium high, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add the potatoes. Season with just a pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook until the potatoes are just slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
While the sausage and potatoes are cooking, crack your eggs into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk in the milk until blended.
After the sausage and potatoes are done cooking, layer everything into the casserole dish by adding half of the eggs, sausage, potatoes, and cheddar cheese and then repeating with the remaining half.
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until just set in the center.
Topped with fresh herbs like parsley or sliced green onions, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Breakfast Casserole
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- Shred the cheese from a block for the best melting and texture.
- You can prepare this casserole ahead of time and bake later that day. You can also prepare the potatoes and sausage mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until needed – up to 3 days.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 267mg | Sodium: 586mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 214mg | Iron: 3.6mg