Butternut Squash Gratin
This Butternut Squash Gratin is made from scratch with all low carb and gluten free ingredients. Topped with almond flour "bread crumbs," each serving has only 15 net carbs. This gratin is the perfect fall side dish recipe!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 large butternut squash * about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot * finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic * minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese * I used shaved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Peel and slice the long neck part of the butternut squash into 1/4" thick rounds and layer into the bottom of a medium size casserole dish.
Melt 2 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat in a medium size skillet.
Add the shallot, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the shallot is just softened, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper.
Pour the hot cream mixture evenly over the butternut squash.
Evenly sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and stir in the almond flour with a fork until it resembles crumbs.
Spread the almond flour crumbs over the butternut squash.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender and the crumb topping is lightly browned. Remove the cover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes to brown the crumbs more, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Butternut Squash Gratin
** Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- Try to find a butternut squash with a long neck. You'll be able to get more slices and servings.
- If you're looking to lower the carb count in this recipe, I have seen some people use pork rinds as bread crumbs instead.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator. Use within 3-5 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 476mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 13784IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 2mg