Chili-Roasted Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
This vegetarian Chili-Roasted Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese recipe is warm and hearty. It’s a unique comfort food recipe that combines cheesy, spicy, and sweet all in one delicious meal!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Chili-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced * about 4 cups
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Cups unsweetened almond milk * can use dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces grated white cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces Modern Table Elbows pasta
Preheat your oven to 350°F and set a medium pot filled with 8 quarts of water over high heat to boil.
Add the cubed sweet potatoes and olive oil to a medium bowl and toss until well coated.
Pour the sweet potatoes out onto a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the chili powder onto the sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Set aside.
Add the Modern Table Elbows pasta to the pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Drain.
While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet (oven proof if you have one) over medium heat.
Gradually whisk in the flour until well combined and smooth.
Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly so that the mixture stays smooth.
Add the salt, pepper, and mustard powder and continuing cooking, mixing frequently, until thickened to the point you can draw a line through it with a spoon, about 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and gently fold in the cooked pasta.
Place the sweet potatoes and skillet (or casserole dish, if your skillet isn't oven-proof) into the preheated oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
To serve, top the mac and cheese with the chili roasted sweet potatoes.
Tips and Techniques
- For the best results, shred the cheese from a block. Do not use bagged shredded cheese as it contains cellulose which will likely ruin your cheese sauce.
- You can skip baking the mac and cheese. In this case, get the sweet potatoes roasting first, then begin preparing the mac and cheese portion of this recipe.
- You can bake the mac and cheese in 8 individual-size baking dishes. Decrease the baking time to about 15 minutes for this method.
- This recipe is not gluten free, due to the addition of the all purpose wheat flour. I have not yet tested a gluten free version, but many others have suggested using amaranth flour in place of the wheat flour.
How to Freeze Chili-Roasted Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
It is recommended to freeze the sweet potatoes and mac and cheese separately.
To freeze the sweet potatoes let them cool, then add them to a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag before sealing. To reheat, add the potatoes to a baking sheet and cook at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
To freeze the mac and cheese portion of this recipe let it fully cool, then freeze in a tightly-covered casserole dish. Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 45-60 minutes.