Low Carb Chicken & Spinach with Chipotle Cream Sauce
A rich, cheesy, and slightly spicy sauce with chicken and spinach. Serve it over spaghetti squash for a low carb and gluten free option, or traditional pasta!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts * cut into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic * minced
- 4 ounces spinach leaves * roughly choppped
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 chipotle peppers with adobo sauce * minced with seeds removed from one (see notes)
- 1 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish * optional
PREP: Cut the chicken into bite-size cubes. Mince the garlic, but keep the 2 cloves separated. Roughly chop the spinach. Mince the chipotle peppers, removing some, all, or none of the seeds, depending on how spicy you'd like the sauce (see notes). Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 clove of minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until it is not longer pink in the center, about 7-8 minutes.
Pile the spinach over the chicken and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally until the spinach is wilted and tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the second clove of minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the chipotle peppers and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Slowly add the heavy cream and increase the heat to bring to a boil.
Lower to simmer, than whisk in the Parmesan cheese and season with black pepper to taste.
Pour the Chipotle Cream Sauce into the skillet with the chicken and spinach and stir to combine well.
Serve over spaghetti squash, or noodles of your choice, and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
TIPS AND TECHNIQUES:
** Nutritional information is only an estimate and will vary.
- There should be no need to add flour to this recipe. Just be sure to let the cream come to a boil, then lower and let it come to a simmer before whisking in the Parmesan cheese. That should be enough to give you a thick, creamy sauce.
- Remove the chipotle seeds by cutting the pepper in half and scraping them out with the flat edge of your knife, then mince the remaining pepper. The more seeds you leave in, the spicier the sauce will be.
- You can quickly cook a spaghetti squash by piercing it a few times all way into the middle with a knife. Place the squash on a plate and microwave for about 7 minutes for a medium squash. Cut the squash in half length-wise and remove the seeds. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 583kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 223mg | Sodium: 569mg | Potassium: 730mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3185IU | Vitamin C: 7.8mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 1.2mg