I’m taking a break from all the yummy pumpkin sweets to share the recipe for this savory Spiced Pumpkin Risotto!
This post contains affiliate links – see our Disclosure Statement for more information.
I’ve mentioned before that last year was the first time I ever ate anything pumpkin! I was hooked immediately on these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and knew I’d be trying a lot more pumpkin-flavored goodies this year! So far, I’ve made a Pumpkin Pie Spiced Coffee Cake that was instantly popular on Pinterest! But, I wanted to try a savory pumpkin recipe this Fall and decided on trying to create a Spiced Pumpkin Risotto!
Spiced Pumpkin Risotto
Let me just ease your mind about something first. Making risotto is not that difficult beyond the fact you have to stir it…a lot. I was under the impression for a long time that it was a difficult dish to make and was hesitant to try to make it myself for awhile. I’ve actually never made a bad risotto! You just have to follow the directions, flex your biceps, only use arborio rice, and stir your heart out. Then, about 30 minutes later you get to enjoy the perfect creaminess that is characteristic of a true risotto!
I’ve actually loved butternut squash for many years and this past summer I had a risotto with butternut squash in it. It was good, but I was left wishing it had more of the squash flavor. I remembered that when I was making this recipe! I had plenty of extra pumpkin puree ready to go just in case! I’m convinced I figured out the perfect ratio of pumpkin to rice to Parmesan and spice! It is actually quite good without the spice, but I added just enough that you can just tell it’s there.
If you’re interested in making a risotto using butternut squash, I highly recommend trying my Parmesan Lemon Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash!
I’m not even going to pretend I used a fresh pumpkin either. I would have, for sure, but my pumpkin knowledge is nil and so I went with canned pumpkin puree. It does make the whole cooking process faster since you don’t have to chop, bake, and puree, although I’m sure fresh is best so if you’ve got it, got for it!
This Spice Pumpkin Risotto is great on its own or as a side dish to almost anything! It’s the perfect comfort food for your family or guests this Fall! Hopefully, you’ll try it and love it!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Add the shallots and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until softened fragrant.
- Stir in the rice, then add the cooking wine. Cook until all of the wine is absorbed, stirring continuously.
- Pour in 3 cups of the vegetable stock. Continue stirring until stock is all absorbed.
- Once the stock is absorbed stir in the remaining stock 1 cup at a time until each is fully absorbed.
- Removed the pan from the heat and stir in the pumpkin until well blended.
- Slowly mix in the Parmesan cheese and butter, then the pumpkin pie spice. Taste and adjust spice as desired.
- Top with Parmesan cheese shavings, minced parsley, or a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Pumpkin Risotto
- Use only arborio rice to get authentic, creamy risotto.
- Just keep stirring! Stirring almost constantly is the key to the most perfect risotto. Sure, I take breaks to add ingredients and such, but for the most part, I’m stirring away!
- While I haven’t tested this recipe with fresh pumpkin puree, I am sure that it would work out just fine – maybe even better!
- Risotto is always best when eaten right away. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, but it’s best within the first few days. Freezing risotto is not recommended.