Slow Cooker Chipotle Honey Chicken is sweet, spicy and super versatile! It can be used on it’s own or in a variety of recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
Last year, I worked really hard on a recipe for Chipotle Honey Barbecue Ribs. It turned out so amazing, that I wanted to use the same flavors in another recipe for chicken!
Because I leave all the grilling to my fiancé, I wanted to make this recipe for Chipotle Honey Chicken something that I could easily make myself any time of the year. I followed the same general idea as my ribs recipe, but used the slow cooker instead of the grill. The results are a versatile pulled chicken that you can use in sandwiches, tacos, and a ton of other types of recipes!
The chicken is coated with a chipotle chili rub, then slow cooked in just a little chicken broth to help keep it moist. Once it’s all cooked, I shred it and toss it in a homemade honey barbecue sauce. At this point you can leave it in the slow cooker as long as needed, or serve it up right away!
Slow Cooker Chipotle Honey Chicken
Set up your slow cooker and have all of the ingredients out for the chicken. You can make the barbecue sauce later, or keep it in the refrigerator until you need it.
Rub the mixture onto both sides of all of the chicken breasts.
Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker and add the chicken broth. Secure the lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with two forks.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the Honey Barbecue Sauce.
Pour the sauce over the chicken. Stir until well combined.
Use the shredded Chipotle Honey Chicken in sandwiches, tacos, or right out of the slow cooker for all types of recipes!
Chipotle Honey Chicken
Chipotle Chili Dry Rub
- Mix together the chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Pour the chicken stock into your slow cooker and place the chicken breasts inside, as well. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After the chicken is done cooking, transfer it to a bowl and shred it with 2 forks.
- Drain all but 1/2 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and put the shredded chicken back in.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the barbecue sauce and pour over the chicken. Mix well.
- Keep the chicken in the slow cooker set to warm for serving.
How To Make Chipotle Honey Chicken In An Instant PotTo make this recipe in an Instant Pot, the only change you will make is how you cook the prepared chicken. Follow the instructions above for how to season the chicken and prepare the barbecue sauce.
- Place the trivet and the chicken stock into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Lay the seasoned chicken breasts on top of the trivet and close the lid ensuring that the valve is in the sealed position.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes for 2 pounds of chicken, or 15 minutes for 3 pounds of chicken.
- Once the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 10 minutes, then open the valve to release and remaining pressure and carefully open the lid.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl and shred with 2 forks. Drain all but 1/2 cup of liquid from the bottom of the pot, return the shredded chicken and toss with the barbecue sauce.
- Set the Instant Pot to Keep Warm, as needed.
Tips and Techniques
- To make this recipe in the oven, or on the grill, season the chicken as directed in the recipe card. Preheat your grill or oven to 350°F and cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (cooking time will vary with the size of your chicken). Shred the cooked chicken and toss with the barbecue sauce as directed in the recipe card.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.