This Slow Cooker Mild Turkey Chili can be enjoyed as is, or easily adapted with all your favorite ingredients!
This post contains affiliate links – see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
This Fall and Winter season has been unusually warm this year in our area. It’s taken me until December to actually even feel like making chili. Thankfully, I made this Slow Cooker Mild Turkey Chili a few days ago when it was really chilly outside because today the weather has taken another strange turn and it’s a balmy 66 degrees outside. It feels more like spring than winter, which is pretty much always okay with me, except when it comes to food! There are just certain foods that taste so much better when it’s cold outside, and chili is most definitely one of them!
This recipe is for a basic, mild chili that can easily be modified to your preferences. I guess you could think of it more like a base to add other ingredients too, unless you like a plain, mild chili. I use turkey so it’s a bit healthier, but ground beef, bison, or venison would be tasty alternatives! I also make this particular chili on the mild side so that it is kid-friendly. My son actually likes a little spice now and then, but not a whole bowl full! If it was just my fiancé and I you better believe that chilies, chipotles, or habaneros would be swimming in there every time!
Top your turkey chili off with some cheddar cheese, sour cream, or scallions if you desire! Add a side of cornbread and you are all set for a delicious warm meal that is just perfect to eat while indoors with a fireplace going, watching the snow fall outside…if the snow ever even falls this year…
I’d love to hear what you think if you make this Mild Turkey Chili recipe! What do you like to add to your chili? What do your kids like mixed in? Leave me a comment or send me a message anytime!
Slow Cooker Mild Turkey Chili
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (15oz) cans red kidney beans light or dark
- 1 (15oz) can white kidney beans
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (32oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, onion powder, and garlic and cook until meat is browned. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Serve warm and top with green onions, cheddar cheese and/or sour cream, if you desire.