Kale Protein Detox Salad is a delicious salad packed with healthy benefits!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
Back in my vegetarian days, I was asked constantly how I got enough protein in my diet. Even my general doctor wanted to do blood work to run a nutritional analysis to make sure my protein intake was high enough. It turned out that my protein intake was better than fine! There are so many plant-based sources of protein that most people don’t even think about. Back then, I will admit, most of my protein came from peanut butter and cheese, still favorites of mine. Today, even though I am no longer a vegetarian, I do avoid meat at times and I get my protein from all types of plant sources. This Kale Protein Detox Salad is one delicious way to boost your daily protein intake! We have been eating kale salads like this at least once a week for dinner, but this is also a great lunch to take to work too. Say goodbye to that 3 o’clock carb-crash!
Here is a list of what I put in my own Kale Protein Detox Salad, and why:
- Kale: fiber, iron, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, heart health
- Red Cabbage: fiber, anti-cancer, intestinal health
- Broccoli: fiber, anti-cancer, heart health
- Tomato: fiber, anti-cancer, heart health
- Carrots: anti-cancer, slows aging, cleanses the liver
- Chickpeas: fiber, high protein, intestinal health
- Sunflower Seeds: fiber, high protein, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, heart health
- Pepitas: fiber, high protein, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory
- Sesame Seeds: fiber, high protein, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory
The fiber in all these ingredients helps flush out the toxins in the body. Most of these ingredients also help to lower cholesterol and high blood pressure as well. Each one of these ingredients also has a ton more health benefits not listed above.
Eating this salad raw obviously provides the healthier option, and that is what my boyfriend does, but not me. I like to make a homemade Dijon-lemon dressing because the lemon offsets the bitterness of the kale perfectly, in my opinion. In the recipe below I list the ingredients I use in the salad and approximate quantities. You can adjust as you like. I mean, can you really eat too much kale and broccoli? Nah. Just don’t go too heavy on the seeds and chickpeas if you are counting calories. Also, in the notes below the recipe, you will find how I make the dressing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know how it goes in the comments below or send me a message anytime!
Kale Protein Detox Salad (Vegetarian, Vegan)
- 1 Cup kale chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup red cabbage chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup broccoli chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup tomato chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup carrots chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a big bowl and mix well. Top with dressing, if desired.