The first cookie in my gluten free chocolate cookie series are these Gluten Free Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I recently posted A LOT of dark chocolate cookies that were not gluten free. With my fiance, needing to avoid gluten in his diet, I felt like I HAD to make a bunch of gluten free varieties as well! These Gluten Free Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies are just as delicious and as easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. See our Disclosure Statement for more information.
The only differences between this recipe and the base recipe for the dark chocolate cookies were that I used Pillsbury’s Gluten Free Flour blend and regular unsweetened cocoa. I’m assuming the flour is what resulted in these cookies being thicker than the non-gluten varieties I made. I use Pillsbury’s Gluten Free Flour Blend most often, but also like King Arthur’s, it’s just a bit more expensive. Both these flours give me the best results when baking gluten free, whether it be cookies, pancakes, muffins, etc!
The cookies were slightly chewy, with crispy edges. Gluten free baked goods tend to crumble much easier than non-gluten free, but these held up pretty well! I won’t lie and say these are the perfect alternative to non-gluten free cookies as far as breakage goes, but they are pretty darn close! My boyfriend had no problems eating almost all of them (my 8-year-old son ate the rest and never once said they tasted any different)!
*Quick tip: using a Silpat mat like the one pictured above not only helps keep cookies from sticking, but came in especially handy with this recipe because the melted caramel came right off as well! An added bonus – easy clean up!
I absolutely love the way these cookies turned out appearance-wise as well. Since I’ve taken up blogging and food photography, I’m learning new tips and tricks all the time! To get cookies that look like the ones in the photos, leave some of the mix-ins to the side, then press them on top of the dough balls before putting them in the oven. Then, you’ll have cookies where you can see what’s in them just by looking at them!
I have several more recipes for variations of gluten free chocolate cookies I’ll be linking to below once they post. I hope you’ll try some and let me know what you think! If you don’t care for the mix-in’s I’ve used in this Gluten Free Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie, try my Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies, Gluten Free Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies, or use the Basic Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Recipe and mix in whatever it you love!
- 1 1/4 Cups butter softened
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cups gluten free all purpose flour I used Pillsbury
- 3/4 Cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup caramel pieces diced small (chip size)
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the butter and sugar in an electric blender on low-med speed. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- In a second bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the wet ingredients until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and caramel pieces.
- Drop by tablespoons about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet (I use a Silpat Mat to prevent sticking). Bake 8-9 minutes until cooked through. Sprinkle with a pinch of the kosher salt and LET COOL before removing from the baking sheet to prevent them from breaking. Enjoy!