Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is the perfect menu item for breakfast or brunch!
Brunch is hands-down my most favorite meal of the day! Unfortunately, brunch isn’t an everyday occurrence. When I make brunch, the dishes have to be worthy. This Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is perfect! It’s also good at breakfast time, of course!
A lot of breakfast casseroles out there use bread, and don’t include potatoes. When I make a big spread for breakfast I always include potatoes, so I wanted them in this all-in-one casserole as well.
To save yourself time in the morning, you can prepare some of the ingredients the night before. You can cook the sausage ahead of time, as well as the potatoes. Store them in the refrigerator and then in the morning all you have to do is whisk the eggs, add everything to a casserole dish and bake.
Prepping everything first makes putting any recipe together a thousand times easier, so I’ve decided to start including prep work as part of the instructions for all my recipes now.
For the Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole you will want to chop your shallot and red pepper into small pieces, and dice the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Make sure to have your olive oil, sausage, cheese, salt, and pepper out and ready to go as well.
Have out two large skillets, coat them with a small amount of olive oil (I use an olive oil spray), and set the heat to medium. In one skillet you’ll cook the shallot, pepper, and sausage.
In the other skillet, you’ll cook the potatoes.
While the sausage and potatoes are cooking, crack your eggs into a medium bowl and whisk in the milk until blended. Coat your casserole dish with non-stick spray or a little butter.
After the sausage and potatoes are done cooking, later everything into the casserole dish. I usually put egg, sausage, potatoes, cheese in about three layers and top with any extra egg and cheese.
Bake about 40 minutes, until set.
I used to get so frustrated when I would make a recipe and it looked nothing like the photos. All photos in magazines, cook books, and even on blogs, are edited to make them pop. I wanted my food to look as good on my family’s table as well, especially after all the time and effort spent on making it!
We eat with our eyes first, right? If it looks good, we want it. If it’s a pile of brown mush, we probably don’t even want to try it.
This Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is a little monotone. All you have to do to make it look “professional” is sprinkle on some fresh parsley and your family (or whomever you’re feeding) will be uber-impressed!
All the directions, tips, and tricks are listed in the recipe down below! I hope you’ll give this Sausage and Potato breakfast casserole a try the next time you need a yummy, filling meal! Try it at breakfast, for brunch, or even dinner!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 shallot
- 1 red pepper
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 1/2 Cups cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper
- PREP: Preheat oven to 350 F.Spray a 9 x 11 casserole dish with non-stick spray or grease with butter. Chop the shallot and the pepper and dice the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Add the eggs to a medium bowl and whisk in the milk until well blended. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat, repeat with a second large skillet.
- Add the shallot and red pepper to one of the skillets and the cubed potatoes to the other.Cook the shallot and red pepper for 2-3 minutes, until soft, then add the sausage and cook until browned through. Cook the potatoes until they are just about soft (they will finish cooking in the oven).
- Add all the ingredients to the casserole dish by layering about 1/3 of the egg mixture, then sausage, potatoes, and cheese in about 3 layers. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with extra cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until completely set. Serve hot.