Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is the perfect menu item for breakfast or brunch!
Brunch is hands-down my most favorite meal of the day! Unfortunately, brunch isn’t an everyday occurrence. When I make brunch, the dishes have to be worthy. This Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is definitely a perfect choice! It’s also good at breakfast time too!
A lot of breakfast casseroles out there use bread, and don’t include potatoes. When I make a big spread for breakfast I always include potatoes, so I wanted them in this all-in-one casserole as well.
To save yourself time in the morning, you can prepare some of the ingredients the night before. You can cook the sausage ahead of time, as well as the potatoes. Store them in the refrigerator and then in the morning all you have to do is whisk the eggs, add everything to a casserole dish and bake. Super easy!
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole
Prepping everything first makes putting any recipe together a thousand times easier, so I’ve decided to start including prep work as part of the instructions for all my recipes now.
For this Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole you will want to chop your shallot and red pepper into small pieces. Dice the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Make sure to have your olive oil, sausage, cheese, salt, and pepper out and ready to go as well.
Have out two large skillets, coat them with a small amount of olive oil (I use an olive oil spray), and set the heat to medium. In one skillet you’ll cook the shallot, pepper, and sausage.
You” cook the potatoes in the second skillet.
While the sausage and potatoes are cooking, crack your eggs into a medium bowl and whisk in the milk until blended. Coat your casserole dish with non-stick spray or a little butter.
After the sausage and potatoes are done cooking, layer everything into the casserole dish. I usually put egg, sausage, potatoes, cheese in about three layers and top with any extra egg and cheese.
Bake for about 40 minutes, until set.
I used to get so frustrated when I would make a recipe and it looked nothing like the photos. All photos in magazines, cook books, and even on blogs, are edited to make them pop. I wanted my food to look as good on my family’s table as well, especially after all the time and effort spent on making it!
We eat with our eyes first, right? If it looks good, we want it. If it’s a pile of brown mush, we take one look and think it can’t possibly taste good.
This Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is a little monotone. All you have to do to make it look “pretty” is sprinkle on some fresh parsley and your family (or whomever you’re feeding) will be super impressed!
The full directions, tips, and tricks are listed in the recipe down below! I hope you’ll give this Sausage and Potato breakfast casserole a try the next time you need a yummy, filling meal! Try it at breakfast, for brunch, or even dinner!
For more Keto and Low Carb recipes, you can click here to visit the Low Carb section of my Recipe Index or sign up for my Keto and Low Carb Newsletter to get new keto and low carb recipes sent right to your inbox!
Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 shallot * diced
- 1 red pepper * diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 medium size potatoes * cut into 1/2-inch cubes - about 3 cups
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese * shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 11 or equivalent sized casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the shallots, red pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until just soft, about 2-3 minutes, then add the ground sausage.
- Cook, breaking up, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a second large skillet over medium high, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add the potatoes. Season with just a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until the potatoes are just slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- While the sausage and potatoes are cooking, crack your eggs into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk in the milk until blended.
- After the sausage and potatoes are done cooking, layer everything into the casserole dish by adding half of the eggs, sausage, potatoes, and cheddar cheese and then repeating with the remaining half.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until just set in the center.
- Topped with fresh herbs like parsley or sliced green onions, if desired.
Tips and Techniques for the Best Breakfast Casserole
- Shred the cheese from a block for the best melting and texture.
- You can prepare this casserole ahead of time and bake later that day. You can also prepare the potatoes and sausage mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until needed – up to 3 days.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.