Oh my, did we have a time getting our baby to sleep better at night! Benjamin was just not having it! I thought when he got more active, he would sleep better, but no. It took us quite a while and a lot of trial and error and I think we finally got it figured out (at 15 months old)! Here are some tips that worked for us that can maybe help your baby sleep better at night before they are officially a toddler!
- Have a Routine. Not having a routine worked out just fine for my first born, but not so much this time around. Now we follow the same routine every night. We give one last snack and drink before bed, say our goodnights to everyone, and read a book. Your baby will eventually realize that when these things happen, it’s bedtime.
- Keep to a Schedule. This one was hard for me too. My first born would fall asleep anytime, anywhere. Benjamin’s sleep habits are a whole different story. He would cry nonstop and only fall asleep if we were holding him. We spoiled him a little too long. Once we started our bedtime routine and put him to bed around the same time every night, he stopped crying sooner and sooner and now falls asleep pretty quickly. He also wakes up around the same time each morning, which allows up to keep to a schedule as well!
- Use Diapers in the Right Size and Fit. We had such issues with diapers leaking in the middle of the night for a long time! No baby likes sleeping in a wet bed! We finally narrowed it down to two reasons: the diapers were sometimes too small and/or they just didn’t provide enough protection against leaks. Now, we use Huggies Little Snugglers and I can’t even remember the last time Ben’s woken up due to a leaky diaper! We buy them from Walmart Neighborhood Market! They have everything our baby needs at the same price at Walmart supercenters! It’s also so much easier to get in and out of the smaller Walmart Neighborhood Market stores!
- Keep Track of What Your Baby Likes. Benjamin prefers to sleep on his stomach now that he’s older. I really think this is part of the reason why he slept terribly as an infant! He also likes to be covered with a soft blanket and loves music so I always put on music right as I am leaving his room.
- Remember That All Babies Are Different. This took some adjusting to for me! Some babies are going to just fall asleep wherever, whenever. Some babies need to be held more. I got one of each! Do what best suits your baby and yourself. There are no right or wrong decisions! Just trial and error! You will both figure it out eventually!
Hopefully, some of these tips will help you to get your baby to sleep better at night! To get you started, you can print a coupon for $2.00 off Huggies diapers now! Then, pick some up at your local Walmart Neighborhood Market! The coupon will be available until December 31, 2016! And, keep an eye out for an additional coupon for Huggies Wipes available starting September 25 until October 8, 2016 .
Please feel free to share any tips and tricks you may have that helped you baby sleep better at night in the comments!